I love this time of year. You know- a time for reflection, a time for renewal, and a time for a little prognostication. What would a new year be without some good, old-fashioned predictions about what is in store for all of us in 2023? So, without further ado, some speculations for this upcoming New Year.
- What will the S&P 500 return be this year? I’m not sure just yet, best to ask me on December 31st.
- Will the bond markets show any kind of rally after such vast declines last year? It’s possible…it’s definitely possible.
- Where will interest rates be headed in 2023? Up, down or hold steady. I could go either way.
- What do we know about crypto currency? “It is a digital currency designed to work as a medium of exchange through a computer network that is not reliant on any central authority, such as a government or bank, to uphold or maintain it.” At least that’s what Wikipedia says…
- Will there be a recession in 2023? Not sure, let’s Google it.
- With the changes in energy markets, should we be buying oil? I’m not inclined to do so. The 55-gallon drums are just so unsightly and it’s not offered for free delivery through Amazon Prime.
- What’s next for the housing market? I’m still constructing an opinion
- Will Congress pass the Sunshine Protection Act? This is a bill that would make Daylight Savings permanent. While I would miss “falling back” every autumn, I can see the bright side of it
- Where is the best location to view the annular solar eclipse on October 14th, 2023? Looks like Midland, TX. Don’t miss it…it will be out of this world!
- Who will win this year’s Super Bowl? If history is a guide, Tom Brady. If he's not available, it’s anyone’s guess
As you can tell, this was my attempt at a little bit of humor and was in no way to be predictive or make light of any real issues that may arise in 2023. In all reality, and as we have expressed in our annual reviews and calls with each other over the years, no one knows what is coming in the year ahead. In the vacuum of that future knowledge, it is prudent to have a plan that addresses not only the planning points and events we expect, but the unexpected that can happen along the way as well. Consequently, we work through your plan and fund those goals with a constant eye on risk to help build and sustain your financial independence. In the end, we are here to help you navigate the critical financial events of the future. No matter what may come in 2023, we look forward to it with anticipation and are honored to walk alongside you in this pursuit of living a better life!